The keyboard for the IIGS
Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard, A9M0330, 658-4081. This is the keyboard that came with the Apple IIGS. Complete keyboards are currently only available with purchase of an Apple IIGS here. They all started life looking like the second photo, but most now look like the next - SMK (Taiwan) on top and Alps (Japan) below).
While they look the same on the outside, there are two main differences that affect which key switch or key cap that you need. Pop off a keycap (not Caps Lock), if needed. Are the stems of your switches orange, salmon or white?
If your keyboard label say “Made in Japan”, it uses orange or salmon colored Alps switches. The keycaps are platinum colored top and bottom and longer keys use brown stabilizer bar clips. The 3 case screws always use a washer underneath the screw heads. The keyboard ROM may be socketed or soldered and the printing is facing the front of the keyboard. ROM may be 341-0232 or 341-0124. Key caps don’t really discolor, although the case, numeric keypad divider and space bar do.
If your keyboard label says “Made in Taiwan”, it uses white SMK switches. The keycaps are dark gray on the bottom and longer keys use white stabilizer bar clips. The 3 case screws may or may not use a washer under the screw heads. The socketed keyboard ROM, 341-0124 printing is facing the back of the keyboard. Key caps always discolor with rest of case.
I am not sure yet if the switches are interchangeable between Alps and SMK as I don’t have an SMK switch out yet. Judging by the bottom of the boards (second to last photo) the legs may be offset. The SMK switches were only used in this keyboard whereas the Alps switches were used in several - see note at the bottom.
While the keycaps may be interchangeable in a pinch, they don’t fit as nicely as the correct ones and the coloring may not match. Contact me if you need a keycap to check availability before you order.
- Bottom Case (includes feet whenever possible. Feet are really non removable - very thin pieces of rubber)
- Top Case
- Keypad divider
- Screws - sold individually. Note: Some have small heads and use a washer. Some have large heads and use a washer. Some Taiwan keyboards do not use a washer with the large head screws.
- Alps Key Switch (orange)*
- Alps Key Switch (salmon)*
- Alps Caps Lock Switch (cream)*
- Alps Key Caps (platinum bottom)***
- Alps Brown clips on the underside of the large keycaps for the stabilizer bar to slide into
- SMK Key Switch (white)
- SMK Caps Lock Switch (white)
- SMK Key Caps (dark gray bottom)***
- SMK White clips on the underside of the large keycaps for the stabilizer bar to slide into
- Return or Space Bar Post Receptacle*
- Base Stabilizer clips (black)*
- Space Bar Stabilizer Bar
- Reset Stabilizer Bar
- Shift, Return, 0, Enter Stabilizer Bar
- Control or Apple Stabilizer Bar
- Keyboard ROM 341-0124 or 341-0232
*These parts may be interchangeable with some IIc Plus, Apple Keyboard M0116, Extended Keyboard M0115, Extended Keyboard II M0312 or M3501.
***Contact me if you need a keycap to check availability before you order.